Sawi Hijau Shanghai | How to grow choy sum
11 Tips to easy growing sayur sawi hijau
- Prepare well fertilized moist plot of land width 1 m x length 3 – 5m (may vary) and height 20cm
- Sow seeds sparingly across the plot and cover with a think layer of compost
- Water the plot with small to fine flow rate to moist the soil 2 – 3 days until seeds germinate
- Apply chicken manure once a week until 4 – 6 sawi leaves appear.
- Thin sawi plants to 10-15 cm between plants either in the morning or late evening
- Transplant with some soil attached with the plants to avoid hurting the roots
- Add chicken manure in between rows of the plants and avoid the in contact with them
- Water plants and keep the soil moist, not soggy everyday if soil gets too dry.
- Use netting to cover the young plants to prevent from sun heat shock & heavy rain
- Harvest sawi by cutting off the entire loose bunch of leaf stalks at the base of the plant.
- Fresh sawi choy sum is ready to harvest 28 – 35 days. Happy growing!