How to grow Yam Bean / Jicama
Prepare Yam Bean Seeds
- Soak yam bean seeds in warm water for a day.
- Sow seeds onto rich, sandy loam soil 0.5 cm deep & 25cm apart.
Sowing Yam Bean Seeds
- Cover the seeds with soil and tamp lightly.
- Water & Fertilize if soil is dry, do not overwater.
Caring Yam Bean Plants
- Stake bamboo stick 10cm into soil next to Yam Bean plants when they are about 50 to 60cm tall.
- Twine the vines gently to the stakes.
- As they grow, remove all flowers on Yam bean plants to ensure all nutrients are heading for root growth.
Harvest the roots
- Get your trowels ready and gently unearth the tubers from underground.
- Yam Beans are ready for harvest 140 to 160 days from sowing.